Dadeschools > Human Resources > Employee Services > FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions
Americans with Disabilities Act back to top
• What is the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990?
• What is the ADA Amendments Act of 2008?
• Who is a disabled individual under the ADA?
• Who is “qualified” under the ADA?
• What is a reasonable accommodation?
Certification back to top
• I already hold a certificate from another state. Does Florida have reciprocity with other states?
• If I have a Master's Degree, do I still need to take the Florida Tests?
• Is it true that Florida no longer requires the CLAST Exam?
• I need to talk to a Certification Officer but I can't get through on the phone. What can I do?
• My temporary certificate expires on June 30th, but I know I won't be done with my requirements. Another teacher told me that she got an extension when she was in this position. How can I get an extension?
• What happens if I am terminated because I did not complete requirements?
• I used to have a temporary certificate but it expired in 1996. I know that the state will allow me to have another temporary certificate, but I was told I could not be hired in Miami-Dade County. Is this true?
• I know that when I graduated from college I had taken the courses for the ESOL endorsement, but it is not on my certificate. Why?
• The state keeps sending me letters asking for something I have already sent to them. Why does this keep happening?
• My Statement of Status of Eligibility says I must demonstrate mastery of Professional Education Competence. How do I satisfy this requirement?
• I applied to renew my State Professional Educatorís Certificate and received a letter stating I need to complete 20 Master Plan Points
(MPP) or 1 College Credit in teaching students with disabilities (SWD). Why do I need another 20 MPP If I already completed the 120
• I already have Exceptional Student Education (ESE) on my certificate, do I still need to complete the 20 MPP in teaching students with
Compensation back to top
• Is my previous teaching experience credited automatically for step placement on the teacher salary schedule?
• Is my Master’s, Educational Specialist or Doctoral Degree credited automatically if I am a full-time teacher?
• Is my Master’s, Educational Specialist or Doctoral Degree credited automatically if I am a part-time teacher?
• What is an accredited college or university?
• Are degrees issued by foreign universities and colleges recognized?
• How does time taken for a leave affect advancing to the next step or receiving a salary increase?
• What compensation do I receive for obtaining a National Board of Professional Teaching Standards certificate?
• Can I receive credit for time worked as a substitute teacher with M-DCPS when hired as a fulltime teacher?
• Who is eligible to receive the Critical Staff Shortage Area stipend?
• Can any degree be considered for tuition reimbursement and/or advanced degree payment?
• What are the authorized salary supplements for performing duties beyond the regular work day?
• My pay rate is not correct. Am I getting paid for my Master’s degree? What supplements am I receiving?
Deduction Control back to top
• What is direct deposit?
• Do I have more than one direct deposit option?
• What are the options and how do I sign up?
• How do I cancel my direct deposit?
• How do I cancel my union/association membership (dues)?
• How do I change or cancel my Trustmark deduction?
• What are the VISTA pre tax and VISTA post tax descriptions displayed in my check/advice statements?
• Which deductions are tax-exempt?
• I am in the defer payment option, will there be deductions from my defer paychecks?
• How many scheduled benefit deductions are there during the year?
Employee Assistance Program back to top
• What kinds of problems can the Employee Assistance Program help me with?
• What occurs during an initial EAP consultation?
• What other services does the EAP offer?
• How do I access EAP services?
Employment Standards back to top
• What is a Level II clearance for fingerprints?
• Is the Jessica Lunsford Act (JLA) the only method to review prospective vendors?
• Can I appeal my denial as a contracted vendor?
• Should I bring any documentation?
• Although I am denied, can I provide services to schools on weekends?
• How long are the fingerprint results valid?
• What is the cost for fingerprinting vendors/contracted personnel?
• Will vendors be receiving badges after being cleared?
• What are the M-DCPS Employment Standards?
E-Recruiting back to top
• Who should apply through E-Recruiting?
Leave Office back to top
• What kinds of leave are available and how do I know if I am eligible?
• When should I submit my leave application?
• How do I apply for a leave under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)?
• I am pregnant and I would like to continue working as late in my pregnancy as possible. When should I start my leave?
• My worksite administrator has signed my leave application. Does this mean that my leave has been approved?
• Do I need to seek approval from the Leave Office if my leave is less than 30 working days?
• Can I work if I am on a Board approved leave?
• Will I receive retirement credit for the period I am out on leave without pay?
• Will I be covered with insurance benefits while on leave?
• I am on a leave. What do I do if I wish to extend my leave of absence?
• Can I return early from my leave of absence?
Payroll back to top
• I did not get paid for certain day(s)/hour(s) that I worked. What should I do?
• How can I get my payroll (check/advice) information?
• My paycheck was lost, washed or stolen, what should I do?
• I am a 10 month employee and wish to have my paychecks spread over 12 months, what should I do?
• How do I cancel my Defer Pay Plan Option?
• What determines if I am eligible for holiday/recess pay?
• How do I accrue leave time (sick/personal/vacation) ?
• How many vacation days will I accrue each fiscal year?
• Why doesn’t my check/advice reflect my actual total of vacation days available?
• If I claim “exempt” from tax withholding, does that withholding status remain in effect until I make another change?
• What deductions are exempt from Federal Taxes?
• How are Federal Taxes calculated?
• What are the percentages for Social Security and Medicare?
• What deductions are exempt from Social Security Taxes and Medicare Taxes?
• I lost my W-2, how can I obtain a replacement copy?
• My W-2 doesn’t reflect my income or salary ?
• I started work, but I haven’t received any pay. What should I do?
Personnel Actions back to top
• Where can I find the W-4 form online and where do I send it for processing? How do I change my federal tax status and/or allowances?
• What documents are needed to change my name in the system?
• My birthday is wrong, how can I change my birth date so that it reflects what is on my driver’s license and/or birth certificate?
• I am an active employee and I have moved to a new address. How can I update my address?
• What is the process to change my address if I am no longer an employee with Miami-Dade County Public Schools?
• What is the process to change my address if I am a substitute?
• I need to take drug test. Is there a fee for the drug test?
• I took a drug test during my hiring process. How long are the drug test results valid?
Personnel Records back to top
• Is the Personnel Records office responsible for completing experience/employment verification forms?
• How can I get Verification of Employment?
• Who has access to my personnel file?
• How can I view my personnel file?
• What information is contained in my personnel file? Is the information confidential or is it public?
• Where could I find additional information about your department?
• How do I add/correct/update transcript information?
• Can a parent / a co-worker / or an attorney view my personnel file?
• How do verify / update / inquire about my employment contract status?
• How do I request a copy of my employment contract?
• How do I request a copy of my personnel file?
• Could you email copies of personnel documents to my email address?
Recruitment back to top
• When and how do I apply for my teaching certificate?
• I want to be a substitute teacher. What do I do?
• I want to teach a subject other than that of my degree area, how can I do this?
• l already hold a certificate from another state. Does Florida have reciprocity with other states?
• What is the cost of drug testing and when do I have to take the drug test?
• What are the procedures for Fingerprinting?
• Do you sponsor H1-B Visas ?
Retirement Office back to top
• How do I retire and how soon do I begin the process?
• What retirement plans are available?
• What is the DROP Program?
• How do I qualify for DROP?
• Is there a deadline to apply for DROP?
• What happens to my sick leave days when I retire?
Travel (In-County) back to top
• What is the current mileage reimbursement rate?
• What is “daily commute”?
• What is the procedure for reimbursement of business related transportation expenses?
• On occasion, I travel to locations other than my base of operations, and the trip is less than my daily commute, however, I incur additional expenses, such as parking, tolls, etc. How do I report this?
• Why is it necessary to indicate complete addresses for non-M-DCPS locations visited on in-county travel?
• How can I find out when the travel I submitted is being paid?
• How can I expedite my travel payment?
• Is there a minimum on reimbursement of in-county travel?
• Can I be reimbursed for in-county travel expenses incurred several years ago?
Travel (Out-of-County) back to top
• What is the current mileage reimbursement rate?
• What expenses are considered as “incidental”?
• What is per diem?
• I am not using the per diem option. What is the current meal allowance?
• Can I still be reimbursed for official travel expenses if I lost my receipts?
• There was no official agenda issued. What is the proper procedure?
• I was issued an electronic airline ticket. Is this acceptable?
Unemployment Compensation Office back to top
• How do I file a Florida claim for unemployment compensation benefits?
• I am a 10-month employee. Am I eligible for unemployment benefits for the summer term?
• Do my paycheck taxes pay for my unemployment benefits?